January 9, 2018

Sew Straight Tutorial

Have you used this tool?  




Here's how it fits with my Bernina.  I have a large Plexiglas sewing table and the Sew Straight hangs just beyond the table.  That does not bother me at all and i don't feel it is in my way.
oh look!...working on the Amelia pattern

Line up the needle exactly even with the 'stitching line'.  Attach Sew Straight with the reusable Scotch Squares that come inside the package.  This keeps the tool in place yet is easily removed without any residue.


You can see the shadow of the reusable square.


To stitch a 1/4" seam allowance, line the fabric up with the 1/4" seam line and start sewing your perfect 1/4" everytime!


Corner Triangles require no marking!  That's time saving!!


What about half square triangles?

Again, no marking!  When making half square triangles, typically one would draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.
With Sew Straight, line the corner up with the left seam line...

...and stitch to the end, keeping the corner of the square, lined up with the 1/4" seam line the entire time.

Rotate the unit around and sew on the opposite side with the corner lined up to the same left 1/4" seam line.


Now there are 2 sewn lines 1/4" away from the center diagonal.  Cut apart corner to corner and what do you get?

Two Half Square Triangles!  
Can you imagine how quick chain piecing becomes?  



Attaching binding strips...  Of course your binding strips will be much longer than these!

When i sew my binding strips together on the diagonal, i move the top strip over a tiny bit so i can see the bottom fabric. This allows me to see and not guess where the underneath corner lies.


Perfect diagonal seams...and no marking!

For all my Farmers...Sew Straight sure helps with those 6-1/2" Farmer's Wife Blocks!  Just keep your fabric lined up with the lines on Sew Straight...and you'll be happy!

UPDATE:  Some have asked how Sew Straight works with a top loading bobbin...great question!  I know the tool is super easy and quick to re-position, but since i load my bobbin from underneath, i really can't give an accurate opinion.  Thankfully, Bev from BlossomandBev on Instagram has a top loading bobbin and has agreed to test Sew Straight and give us her thoughts.  So stay tuned!  :)

Sew Straight is available by clicking on the Amazon button below.  


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Karen. I understand now how this works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! I have a bobbin on top. How does this adhere to the machine? It looks like the bobbin case would be covered and each time the thread runs out, this would need to be removed so that I could change thread. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always write such great tuts, Karen. It wasn't until I read it through TWICE that I came up with the same question as Bev had above. How will my top-loading bobbin be affected by this aid? Of course, it'll need to be moved to get at the bobbin but will I need to go through the whole process of positioning of the aid every time I need to open the bobbin case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question...I believe Sew Straight would have to be moved and re-positioned each time...however, it is super quick to realign. Bev is getting the tool and going to try it out and give me (all of us) her option on how she likes it with her top loading bobbin. Can't wait to hear what she thinks. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have same question as above and is it SCANT quarter inch? (My nemesis scant quarter inch!)


    Lori Holt as something similar and it did cover up bobbin and had to be repositioned constantly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, It is not a scant quarter inch. Bev (comment above) also has a top loading bobbin and has agreed to try out the Sew Straight tool and give her evaluation. So, stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. I have never sewn a scant quarter inch and wouldn't know how. I have seen/read/heard that you get a more accurate half square triangle because of opening and pressing the seam flat with the scant quarter inch. Any thoughts on this Karen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use a scant quarter inch either...but i do stitch a thread or two from the center diagonal when sewing half square triangles. This allows the fabric to fold over the thread width. Make sense? :)

      Delete
  7. I have a Easy Angler which is similar. I need to bring it out. I do have to take it off to change the bobbin.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...